I almost forgot! Here I was about to skip this promised post and instead bore you with joint pain… you’ll have to wait a few more days for that, because in my last post I said I would suggest some alternatives to chemicals products. I mean, just because most soaps make us sick, doesn’t change the fact that we still need to be clean! Anyway, here you are!
- Shampoo – there are two that I will suggest, although I know that shampoo may be a hard one since there are so many different types of hair and climates that we live in. The one that for me is completely chemically safe is in the picture below, Dessert Essence. However, while it is very safe, it is not effective to thoroughly clean my hair. Now I do have long hair, although it is not thick… but try it if you want. I do use it from time to time if I just can’t stand any more chemicals or if I am on a LDA or LDI diet. (More on that another time). I would suggest Kiss My Face as the next best option though. 😀 It is not as perfect chemically, but still pretty safe, and it cleans your hair much better.
Later edit: I finally found it! The shampoo that works appropriately and is friendly to my body chemically! …drum roll….. here it is:
- Soap – Again, Dessert Essence is the way to go here. And it does actually clean you as opposed to the struggles that I have with their shampoo.
- Hand soap – There are several brands that I have found are ‘safe’ and work like they are supposed to, but this one is the best that I’ve used. I do want to point out a note about products labeled ‘unscented’, though. While it isn’t the case with this hand soap, often when things are labeled as unscented it just means that they have put more chemicals in to cover over our counter balance the scent- or the smell. This is not always the case, just something to be aware of. I found this in particular with deodorants to be a battle.
- Deodorant – This one is the hardest, I think. When you go to the health food store (since regular stores don’t have non-chemical deodorants), there are so many options…. and in my case, most don’t work. Some even smell bad (like the aroma, not counting the chemical reaction!). I still haven’t solved this, but the best that I have found that doesn’t make me sick is Kiss My Face. You have to apply it often, but it’s the best I’ve found. If you have other suggestions for this or for any of my suggested alternatives, please comment below! There are also some deodorants that I would not wear myself, but that I can tolerate on my family. For my dad and brother, Old Spice seems to be acceptable, while white-colored men’s deodorant sets me off. For my mom and sister, I have been able to tolerate Lady Speed Stick, as long as I am not in the room when they put it on. But this will be different for everybody.
IMPORTANT NOTE: herePlease read my updated thoughts on deodorant. 🙂
- Face Cleaner – Witch Hazel is great, just put some on a cotton ball and wipe your face. Also, the essential oil lavender or ‘Free and Clear’ mixed with a carrier oil like jojoba works well. I know! I know! Putting oil on your face seems contradictory, but it works!
- Perfume – I never really wore perfume even before having to deal with MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity), so I haven’t really explored much in this area. So if you have, feel free to leave your suggestions for others below! However, I have noticed that when I put the essential oil lavender on for aches and pains or whatever, people often comment that I smell nice…. so who knows? 🙂
- Hand Sanitizer –This one is great, although there are several brands that I’ve found that work great and don’t burn:
- Toothpaste – Okay, so this one I am not entirely decided on, but I think it is pretty chemical-safe, at least from my pretty much lack of reaction to it. On the plus side, it doesn’t taste weird.
- ‘Windex’– We just use vinegar in a spray bottle, it is the simplest, cheapest, and the one that for sure doesn’t bother me. If you want it to smell better, add some lemon or citrus essential oil.
- ‘Comet’ – A great alternative for this one is Bon Ami powder cleanser. Now you can clean the sinks, counters, and tub!
Wow! There we go. I didn’t realize how much we used essential oils in place of chemical products, or that I don’t actually know what to call ‘Windex’ or ‘Comet’ except for those brand names. It’s like a tissue…. people don’t call them tissues, they call them ‘Kleenexes’. Oh well. 🙂 Enjoy trying these out, and being able to clean yourself and your house without getting sick. Although, do take note that it may be different for each person. If you have any more suggestions, ideas, or questions, don’t hesitate to ask of share in the comment’s section!